He wfs.exe is a built-in file on Windows PCs that allows you to send and receive faxes. It also scans and saves documents and images on your computer. It is a very important component of the Windows Fax and Scan (WFS) function on the user’s system. In this article, we cover how to fix the wfs.exe file missing error that affects the way your PC works and interacts with faxing, documents, and images.
The WFS function cannot work properly if wfs.exe is missing from your operating system. They may be able to scan documents and images or send or receive fax messages. This can negatively affect individuals and businesses that rely on the fax and scan feature of Windows 11/10.
Windows cannot find ‘C:\WINDOWS\system32\wfs.exe’. Make sure you spell the names correctly and try again.
If the wfs.exe file is missing from your computer, the best way to fix it is to restore it. We will look at different ways to restore the file, repair it or download it if it is completely missing from your operating system.
WFS.exe is missing or not found in Windows 11/10
If the wfs.exe file is missing or not found on your Windows 11/10 computer, please apply the solutions mentioned below:
- Repair corrupt system files using SFC
- Copy the wfs.exe file from another Windows PC
- Check if the Windows fax and scan feature is installed
Let us now look at each of the solutions in detail.
1]Repair corrupt system files using SFC
To repair the missing wfs.exe file, use Command Prompt to run System File Checker. This finds and repairs system files that are damaged or corrupted. Scan commands are run throughout the system to search for such files to repair. Here’s how to run SFC at a command prompt:
to run the sfc scan, use the steps below:
- Guy cmd in the search box and click Execute as an administrator.
- Type the following command in the Symbol of the system window and press Get into to start the scan:
- Wait for the process to complete and then restart your computer
This should help.
2]Copy the wfs.exe file from another Windows PC
If the wfs.exe file is missing from your computer, you can fix it by transferring a wfs.exe file from a computer that has it to yours. To do this, you will need to have a flash drive or removable memory card. Use the following steps to copy the wfs.exe file from one computer to another:
- Go to the PC that has the wfs.exe file and insert the flash drive into the USB port.
- On the same computer, open File Explorer by pressing Windows Key + E.
- Search and locate the folder C:\WINDOWS\system32\WFS.exeand copy and paste the file to your flash drive.
- Safely remove the flash drive from the computer and insert it into your PC.
- Now, copy and paste the wfs.exe from the flash drive to the file location on your computer C:\WINDOWS\system32 in File Explorer.
- Once this is done, restart your computer and see if the “wfs.exe is missing” error still appears.
3]Check if Windows Fax and Scan feature is installed
You need to check whether the Windows Fax and Scan feature is installed or not. If it is installed, reinstall it and see. If it is not installed, you will need to install it.
Reinstalling Windows Fax and Scan can help fix the wfs.exe error. There are different methods to install Windows Fax and Scan, including using the Settings app, running a command in Command Prompt, or using Control Panel. See the steps for each method below:
Use the following steps to install Windows Fax and Scan using the settings application:
- Open Windows Settings by pressing Windows Key + I.
- Click on the Applications option and locate Optional Features on the left side of the window.
- Select View Features and a new window will appear.
- Type scan in the search box of the new window Add an additional function.
- Check the box next to Windows Fax and Scan, then Next, and to start the installation, select Install to continue.
Use the following steps to install Windows Fax and Scan using the Symbol of the system:
Use the following steps to install Windows Fax and Scan using the control Panel:
- Open the Run dialog box, type appwiz.cpl and press Enter. This will open Programs and Features in Control Panel.
- At the top left of the panel, click the Turn Windows features on or off option.
- A new small window will appear. Search and locate Windows Fax and Scan. Check the box next to it.
- Click OK, and if you get a prompt, choose Restart your computer.
We hope one of the solutions will help you to fix wfs.exe file is missing on your PC.
Read: How to send and receive fax from a Windows computer
Where is the Windows Fax and Scan folder located?
By default, the Windows Fax and Scan folder is located under Scanned Documents in the Documents folder. However, this applies only to documents that are scanned by the built-in Windows Fax and Scan tool. If you use a third-party tool, your folders may be saved in a different location, but in most cases they are all in the Documents folder.
Why is my Windows scan not working?
There are several reasons why Windows Scan is not working. One of them is missing drivers. This makes it difficult for your computer to communicate properly with your scanner. Other reasons for Windows Scan not working are corrupted system files, cable issues, disabled WIA service, or other hardware issues. You can fix this by checking each cause and trying to fix it.
Read: How to scan a document using the Scan application in Windows?