Each new chapter of Fortnite it is a massive event. While seasonal changes bring many minor tweaks and additions, it’s almost always when a new chapter comes out that major revisions or new mechanics are introduced. Fortnite Chapter 4 was no exception, and aside from the extreme changes the island underwent, it brought a major change to gameplay that makes a world of difference when looking for that illusory victory royale (it’s not easy to win Fortnite, after all). .
Increase, well, increase the game. There are a few challenges that kind of lay out what they are, but leave out most of the important details for you to figure out on your own. Augments need to be considered and deeply understood, not only for when you get them yourself, but also to learn what new tricks your opponents might have up their sleeves. Before I surprise you, here’s a full breakdown of how to unlock boosts and how they work in Fortnite.
What are the increases?
Augments, or Reality Augments, are essentially a new perk system introduced in Fortnite. There are currently 22 augments in the game, but there will be more in future updates. You can gain access to multiple boosts during a single match, but boosts do not carry over after a match ends, whether you win or lose. These buffs can range from modifying certain types of weapons to granting buffs for performing actions and much more. There are no bad boosts, so you’ll want to get as many as possible.
Augments also have their own tab in your menu where you can see which ones you’ve had so far to track your progress using them all.
How to Get and Use Augments
Unlike weapons, items, and most things in Fortnite, you will not find or loot augments on the map. Instead, boosts are distributed to all surviving players for the duration of a match. At about two and a half minutes into the game, you’ll be given a choice between two boosts to place in one of four slots. After picking the first one, as long as you survive and the game doesn’t end, you’ll get another pair to pick every two and a half minutes or so. If you’re trying to complete the augment tab, keep an eye out for augments with the word “new” next to it to indicate it’s one you’ve never taken before and unlock it.
If neither of the two magnifications featured looks good, you can also long-press the interact button at the bottom to change your options. You can reroll once for free, but if you have to reroll it will cost you 100 gold bars.
However, even if an augment is passive, you still need to activate it. To do this, press right on the D-pad (or your rig’s equivalent) to bring up the magnification menu, highlight which one you want to use, and activate it with the right trigger.
Complete list of augmentations
Here are the 22 increases in Fortnite so far and what they do:
- Trapeze artist – Grants you Glider redeploy for the rest of the match.
- Hound – Enemies hit by your marksman rifle or bowshots are marked for a short period.
- bow specialist – Bows draw and reload faster, and arrows regenerate over time.
- warrior bush – You regenerate partial health and shields while inside large foliage.
- chug gunner – Receive a Chug Cannon.
- demolition ammunition – Objects you destroy have a chance to drop explosives. Excludes structures built by players.
- first assault – The first bullet in your assault rifle magazine deals additional damage.
- Forecast – You can always see the next storm circle.
- jelly fisherman – Receive a fishing rod. You can use it to fish anywhere, but you can only fish for jellyfish.
- light fingers – Makes your weapons that use light ammo reload faster.
- mechanical archer – Gives you a Mechanical Explosive Bow and a Mechanical Shockwave Bow.
- more parkour – Your energy regenerates briefly after covering or jumping obstacles.
- Party time – Earn balloons over time.
- gun amplifier – Pistols have significantly increased magazine size.
- rifle recycling – Weapons that use medium ammo have a chance to not consume ammo.
- rush reload – Running will slowly reload your equipped shotgun.
- sky-high sprints – While running, you will be able to jump much higher and jump with less gravity.
- splash doctor – You have a chance to find Chug Splash in every container you open.
- storm mark – When the storm changes, ping very close enemies in the area for a short period.
- supercharged – Your vehicles will not consume fuel and will have higher health.
- tactical armory – Grants a rare tactical AR and combat shotgun.
- tricked – Entering a car or truck applies Chonkers and Cow Catcher.