In this article, we will find out why random music is playing on your computer and how you can fix the problem. TO computer randomly playing music when nothing is open it is something uncommon. Like any other computer problem, this needs to be fixed so that you can control when and what you want to play on your PC. Random music on our PC can last around a minute or more and despite doing everything, the music does not stop immediately. This causes a lot of confusion among users, and some may believe that they have been hacked or something.
checking your volume mixer it can give you an idea of where the music is coming from, but in some cases, that won’t even help. You may decide to restart your computer, but still, the problems continue. The best way to address this is to understand why random music is playing on your PC while nothing is open. Then you will know how to troubleshoot or fix various possible causes of the problem. So before we look at how you can fix this annoying error, let’s first look at the possible causes of random music playing on your PC.
Why does music play by itself on my computer?
The causes of a computer playing music randomly can go from one reason to another. This forms the basis of the solutions you will need to apply. Here are the root causes of random music playing on your PC:
- Virus or malware attack. This is one of the main causes of random music on your PC. There is this common virus called Random Music Playing Virus. It is a name given to potentially unwanted programs (PUPs) that are mainly activated by ads playing in the background. That is just one, there are other forms of virus or malware that can hinder some programs and corrupt your computer files and programs.
- Background programs and processes. Some apps may have strange authority and access to your computer, and may run in the background without you opening them. This can also happen when you close them and stay for a moment with music playing in the background.
- play to streams. Windows computers have a Play To feature that allows users to play music from one PC to another. Your computer may be connected to another, and you may have forgotten to disconnect.
Having looked at the reasons that can cause your computer to randomly play music when nothing is open, we are now satisfied that we can go ahead and try to fix the problems. Let us begin.
Computer randomly plays music by itself when nothing is open
Before applying any of these solutions, you can start by restarting your computer or stopping apps from running in the background. After that, apply the following solutions to fix computer randomly playing music when nothing is open.
- Close any apps that access audio in the Volume Mixer.
- Scan and remove any malware.
- Disconnect Play To from other computers
- Troubleshoot clean boot state.
- update audio driver
- Run the Audio Troubleshooter.
Let us now look at these solutions in detail.
1]Close any apps that access audio in the Volume Mixer
If you prevent all applications from accessing your PC audio or all background programs, it will definitely close all media applications running in the background. Here, you need to check these apps in Volume Mixer and/or close all background apps. These apps may be the reason why your computer randomly plays music with nothing else open. First, we’ll see how to open the Volume Mixer, and here’s how:
- Go to your taskbar and locate the volume icon. On many Windows computers, it’s a speaker-like icon.
- Right-click on the icon and choose the open volume mixer option.
- He volume mixer the window will open. Here, you can see all the apps that are currently using and accessing your PC’s audio.
Now that you’ve identified the apps that are using your audio, the next step is to kill them all. Follow the steps below to end tasks for all applications accessing your audio on your computer.
- Open the settings application by pressing the button Windows key + I
- Locate the Applications option and then go to installed applications.
- Here, find the app you identified in Volume Mixer and select the three points next to the app. then choose Advanced Options.
- When you scroll down you will see the Background app permissions option.
- To locate Let this app run in the background and choose Never.
If this didn’t fix shuffled music on your PC, use the next solution.
2]Scan and remove any malware
Your PC may be infected with malware or viruses, and the only way to remove them is to run an antivirus. You can scan for viruses with Windows Defender, Avast, Kaspersky, or any other certified antivirus software. These programs will detect and delete (or suggest deleting) the affected files, which could be the reason why your computer randomly plays music when nothing is open. Here’s how to use Defender to scan for computer threats:
- Open windows settings pressing the button Windows key + I.
- Select Update and security and then go to Protection against viruses and threats what is below windows security.
- Click on the Scan option. then choose Complete analisis and click scan now.
- Wait until the scan is complete, then restart your computer.
3]Disconnect Play To from other computers
Your PC can be connected to another PC using media sharing and Play in Windows. This feature allows computers to play or share media such as music, videos, and pictures. So if you are connected to another PC on the same network, you should check and disable or stop the feature on your computer. You may also need to check other computers at home or at the office to see if they are using Play To to play music from your computer. If that’s the case, you can go ahead and stop the music on the host computer or disable the Play to media sharing tool.
4]Troubleshoot in clean boot state
A clean boot can prevent your computer from randomly playing music when nothing is open. For example, a clean boot reboots your PC with no background apps running and the minimal number of drivers. Follow the steps below to perform a clean boot:
- Here, you need to open the System configuration. To do so, press Win + R and then write msconfig and click OK or press Get into.
- Locate the Servicetab s and check the box next to Hide all Microsoft services. Select disable all.
- go to the Start up option and select Open Task Manager and choose disable all in the panel.
- Close the Open Task Manager windows click Applyand then OK about him System configuration window.
- The final step is to restart your computer.
Once in the clean boot state, try to manually identify the offender by enabling one process after another and verifying.
If that didn’t stop your computer from randomly playing music when nothing is open, then you can boot into safe mode. This can also help you identify the cause.
5]Update audio drivers
You can update your audio drivers and see if the problem is resolved. If you recently updated your drivers and then the problem started, roll back the audio driver and see.
6]Run the audio troubleshooter
Run the Audio Troubleshooter and see if that helps.
We hope that some of the solutions work for you.
Read: Fix random notification sound keeps playing on Windows.
Where is this music coming from on my PC?
The music on your PC can come from applications running in the background, from your browser, or from other computers on your network that use media sharing and Play To. To identify where the music is coming from on your PC, right-click on the volume icon on your taskbar, and then select open volume mixer. Each bar will display the app using your PC’s audio and the volume levels for each. You can mute each one separately.
How do I make my laptop stop playing music automatically?
You can make your Windows laptop stop playing music automatically in Control Panel. Once you open the control Panelclick View by small icons and then locate Self-reproduction. Click on it and then uncheck the box next to Use Autoplay for all media and devices. Alternatively, you can select other options based on your preferences.
Read: Volume continues to mute automatically in Windows.